UNION Restaurant Minneapolis “Twitterview” with Minnesota Monthly Magazine
Twitterview with Yana D of UNION Minneapolis – @UNIONmpls
Interview by Joel Carlson of Minnesota Monthly Magazine
- Hello everyone! Let’s learn about the retractable roof restaurant in DWNTWN Minneapolis called @UNIONMpls. How are you Yana D.?
Yana: Hi Joel! Very well, thank you. Thanks for having us!
- Good to hear! 🙂 To start off with so that people have a reference point, where are you located and what’s near you?
Yana: UNION is located right on the corner of 8th and Hennepin on an iconic Minny location – the old Shinders building!
A block away from @CRAVEamerica in LaSalle Plaza, for an easy reference point 🙂
- Nice tie-in! There are a lot of restaurants in downtown Minneapolis. Why add another one, and why a retractable roof?
Yana: To bring an exciting new dining experience to the Twin Cities! UNION is a blend of talent, design, and culture.
The rooftop was our way of bringing dining into the future. It allows guests to enjoy a rooftop dining year-round!
No matter what the weather has in store for us!
- What outdoor temp is the “guide” for opening the roof? On a sunny day, does the staff get to wear sunglasses?
Yana: I’d say it’s arbitrary…however, we’ll play it safe and say temps in the 60s! Sunglasses TBD 🙂
- The building that you’re in is several floors, what makes up the restaurant, and what’s on the other floors?
Yana: The restaurant is made up of the main dining room, w/ rustic design & decor paying respects to the building history.
- Good to know. What is the price range for entrees on the menu, and are any of the ingredients from local sources?
Yana: UNION has an incredible menu. Exec Chef Jim Christiansen brings his talent, passion, & imagination to his hometown but without any pretentiousness or gimmicks. Nothing on our menu (except for the seafood share plate) is over $30.
Entrees from $14 – $29, Snacks & Appetizers range from $3 – $14, & desserts are $9. Lunch averages in the $12 range.
We use locally sourced ingredients when possible -This changes with the seasons as different products become available
- Great! Peoples diets needs have been changing lately. Do you offer any #GlutenFree or #LoCal dishes on your menu?
Yana: There is no notation of gluten free on the menu, but there are options.
Executive Chef Jim Christensen will be happy to accommodate to dietary needs.
As far as low-cal, I’d suggest the oysters or salads with dressing on the side…Oh, and water 😉
However, if you’re going to have a “cheat day,” do it at UNION – you will thoroughly enjoy yourself & be glad you did.
- Wonderful. What have been some of the more popular dishes and desserts on the menu so far?
Yana: Some of my personal faves are the Scallops, Cheese Plate, & Caramel Mousse dessert – very popular.
- Yummy! How is the restaurant for handling large groups or events? Is catering an option as well?
Yana: UNION is a great venue for a wide variety of events, from social outings and business lunches, to private parties!
Lately we’ve seen a lot of young professionals groups & non-profits looking to organize networking events, which we’ve had a blast hosting. We also can accommodate full buyouts!
Sun-Wed Marquee (@MarqueeMpls) is available for private parties, meetings, photoshoots, you name it!
Think of the open space as a blank canvas w/ stylish decor & state of the art sound system customized for any event!
- What are the hours of operation, and are there any menu #specials going on right now?
Yana: The rooftop is open for lunch M-F 11:30am-2pm. Cocktail hour Sun-Thurs 4pm-6pm & 10pm -11 pm and Fri-Sat 10pm-11pm.
Dinner on both levels starts at 5pm daily. Main level Cocktail hour is Sun-Thurs (bar area only) 4pm-6pm.
It may seem a little complicated but you can find all our hours listed here – http://bit.ly/UolmTn
We have an upcoming Valentine’s Day 5-Course Tasting Menu so you can spend it under the stars 🙂
Oh, and Marquee Nighclub (@MarqueeMpls) is open to the public Thurs- Sat starting at 10pm.
- Thank you for your time today Yana and for sharing some great information about #UNION. Have a great afternoon!
Yana: Thanks so much Joel, it’s been a pleasure tweeting with you 🙂
Union Restaurant & Rooftop
Follow Us on Twitter
Join Our Mailing List!
Join the UNION mailing list to be notified about events, specials, and more!
Hours of Operation
Dinner 4 pm – 9 pm
Dinner 4 pm – 11 pm
Solar Brunch 10 am – 3 pm
Dinner 4 pm – 11 pm
Solar Brunch 10 am – 3 pm
Sunday Soiree 4 pm – 8 pm